Tim, Bailey and I enjoyed a long breath of fresh air today as we ventured out to Hemlock Crossings Park in West Olive for an afternoon of letterboxing.
According to the website, letterboxing.org, letterboxing is "an intriguing mix of treasure hunting, art, navigation and exploring interesting, scenic and sometimes remote places." Basically, you can go the website, type in your zip code and look at various sites around your area that people have hidden a "letterbox" - a small or large box (can be a film canister, a Tupperware container...) with a stamp and a log book in it. When you click on the letterbox location that you want to find, a list or story of clues appears which lead you to your letterbox. Some are pretty easy and some are really hard! Once you find it, you can stamp your log book with the stamp in the letterbox and then stamp the log book in the letterbox with your stamp (and team name)! Tim and I didn't have an actual stamp or our own log book but we still signed the log book in the letterbox. It's really fun and a great activity to do to get exercise, be out in God's beautiful creation and put your mind to work! We spent a few hours at the park today and did two letterboxes...one we found easily and one we got to the last clue but after a valiant search, couldn't find the letterbox!! :( Despite the frustration that this can bring, we know that our efforts still make us winners...right Tim? :)
For those of you who have a GPS system, check out geocaching!! It's another fun, free activity similar to letterboxing!
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Where Is It?!
Posted by tim, brooke, teagan, and wyatt at 5:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
how cool! sounds like fun - i love it!
Hi Brooke,
Wow...it's been a long time! I saw a link to your page on Allison's page, and I thought I'd drop by and see what you have been up to. Congrats on the baby news! How exciting.
I had to comment when I saw that you have been letterboxing. My mom has been doing it forever, and she has planted a ton of them in West Michigan. She carves stamps and everything. She even carved me my own stamp, so I could find all the boxes out here in Rhode Island. Here is her website:
http://www.stampinthebox.com/
If you click on the log book, it gives clues to all the boxes she has planted in Michigan.
Anyway, hope you're doing well!
Sara
Post a Comment