Voting

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

every 14 seconds...


another child is orphaned because of HIV/AIDS.

This statistic is so sad to me yet I'm not sure if my mind...or heart...truly grasps what this means and what this looks like.

Some friends from my church recently returned from a mission trip to Zambia. Engedi has been partnering with World Hope in supporting a Community Orphan Trust within a small village in Zambia. I was able to attend an open house last night which highlighted their trip and was able to catch a glimpse into the faces of forgotten people whom God's heart breaks for. It brought back memories of international trips that I have served on in the past and how I was so determined not to forget what I had seen and felt in my heart...and now realize how quickly I had. Hearing the team's stories, watching video footage and looking at pictures...and yes, watching American Idol's "Idol Gives Back" tonight...re-opened my heart to an issue that has become the crisis of our lifetime.

I feel it's good to struggle with what things like poverty, healthcare,racism and injustice mean to you personally. I think it's good to doubt if the way you live is truly the way you should live. And I think it's good to be uncomfortable and to be changed...and make a change...because of it.

On a personal note, I'm not sure how these thoughts and knowing these statistics will truly activate me. I do know I will search this out and that it can't be ignored. I also know that Tim and I will keep praying for Chipo and Boyd...two orphans in Zambia whose beautiful pictures are displayed on our fridge...as reminders not to forget this reality.

Check out these other sites to see how you can help:

www.handsinmission.org
www.cwomissions.org
www.one.org
www.bethany.org (we're in the process of opening an adoption program in Zambia!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...reminds me of a quote I wrote down in my journal: "Anger is always thought of as a bad thing...But maybe it's not that we are angry, maybe it's that we're not angry enough...and not angry about the right things...Start getting angry at a level that moves you to do something about it..."

I feel like there has been an awesome focus in our world lately -of justice and caring for the poor and vulnerable...Jesus' passions...finally I think we're getting it...