Voting

Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti

Almost 10 years ago, I had the privilege of spending one week in Haiti (including Port-au-Prince), a country that had captured my heart even during the years prior...and still does. It was truly a life changing experience, one that had forever altered the longings of my heart, my perception of this world, and the meaning of life. My heart has been heavy over the past 10 days for the devastation and suffering that the people of Haiti are going through. Many tears have been shed as I think of the level of anguish that fathers and mothers are facing as they search for their children and the scared children forever alone now without their mother or father's arms to hold them. I strongly believe in the power of prayer and will continue to lift up this country and the faces of those I met during my time there. I believe God cries with us and that His glory will continue to be revealed even in the midst of such tragedy.

Evidence of God and His glory can be seen in this video http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_county/W-Mich-parents-unite-with-Haitian-kids, - my favorite is the 3rd video in the "click to watch video" stream - capturing the first moments that children were united with their forever families (the government expedited the adoptions after the earthquake). These children came from the orphanage in Haiti called God's Littlest Angels, an orphanage that Bethany Christian Services has been working with for many years (thankfully, though the orphanage was affected, no one was hurt, though they are still in dire need of food and supplies). I recognize some of the children and one of the families in the video from my past work as an inter country adoption social worker at Bethany. I love love love watching the kids and parents embrace one another. Praise God!

Here are some pictures from my time in Haiti in 2000:

Port-au-Prince




La Jeune (a village just outside Port-au-Prince where we stayed)





“Sometimes I’d like to ask God why He allowed poverty, famine and injustice in the world when He could do something about it……but I’m afraid God might ask me the same question.”—Anonymous

Check out http://www.cwomissions.org/ for more ways to make a difference!

2 comments:

Oma said...

Thanks for posting this Brooke, your heart is so evident. I will continue to pray for Haiti and help out where I can. Love to you always,

Brent and Ashlea said...

Brookie,
I was so moved by your words about Haiti that I have posted a link to your posting on my own blog as well... Our hearts grieve for the men, women, & children there, experiencing such devastating, indescribable losses. Thank you for sharing your personal photos of the beauty of Haiti. Thank you for helping to spread awareness... We will continue to lift up the people of Haiti in our thoughts & prayers.
Love, Ashlea