Voting

Monday, November 3, 2008

November is National Adoption Month


As most of you know, I have the privilege of working part time as an Intercountry Adoption Social Worker at Bethany Christian Services. Over the years, while working in the child welfare system, my heart has been affected by the need for children to be raised in safe, loving families. Since Teagan has been born, this passion has only grown to the point where it hurts sometimes! I have understood not only the importance, but the necessity for a child to be loved in the permanancy of a family. The importance does not just mean stability, commitment, and opportunities for physical, spiritual and emotional growth of a child, but in some cases, it means life or death (my sister-in-law's blog gives you a snip bit of what I'm talking about). My heart will never forget the 13 year old boy I worked with in Grand Rapids for over a year who's death due to neglect still pains me. Or the face of a precious little angel who's picture came across my computer screen as a child available for adoption until HIV stole her life a few months later (did you know that HIV is no longer a death sentence? With proper medication and nutrition, children with HIV can live a long and healthy life...much like those with diabetes or high blood pressure). Please watch this video of her. It is likely that her death could have been prevented if she had a family to help her access proper medication. I'm not okay with the fact that she didn't...are you?

Did you know that there are 143 MILLION orphans in this world? I know that this number is so big, it's really unfathomable....and because it's unfathomable, it's often easy to ignore. Strange how that happens.

That's 143 million children who don't have a mom and a dad to hug them when they are feeling lonely, to hold them when they have a bad dream at night, to play tickle monster with them, to go "home to" on the holidays, to smile at them, letting them know that they matter more than anything in the world to them. That's 143 million children who's development will most likely never reach full potential because no one is there to give them the kind of attachment, bond, and attention that is necessary for their physical, mental and emotional growth.

Did you know that over 6,000 of these children live right here in Michigan?

Sadly, one of the biggest things that people associate with adoption is money. This is true on some levels (domestic adoptions range from FREE to approx. $20,000 while intercountry adoptions range from $20,000 - $30,000), however, there are so many resources out there to assist in these costs. While still a lot of money, I will remind you that people in America often spend more than this on a car. I'll leave it at that. :)

While the reality for some of us is that we aren't going to adopt tomorrow, there are still so many things you can do to care for orphans in this world TODAY...something that for those of us who are Christians, know is close to God's heart (to say it lightly). Things like prayer (for orphans, for foster families, for the child welfare systems, for adoptive families....), sponsorship and orphan care ministries can all make significant differences in this tragedy of children without forever families.

I know that some of you who read this blog have expressed interest in the idea of adoption at one time or another. If you want more info, I'll be thrilled to pass it along! In the meantime, here's a list of some upcoming events that Bethany (in Holland) is holding (most of which I am helping lead so let me know if you would like more details) that you may be interested in!

November 11th at 5:30 p.m. "A Cry for the Orphan" - This event will advocate for orphans overseas who have special placement needs and are waiting for their forever families (we have pictures and profiles of over 200 of these children!). It will take place at the Prince Conference Center at Calvin College in Grand Rapids. A light dinner will be provided and local medical professionals will present. Adoptive families will also be available to share their personal stories and answer questions.

November 13th at 6:30 p.m. "Discover Adoption" - A general adoption information meeting which is excellent for families who are trying to discern which adoption program is right for them. All of Bethany's adoption programs (Domestic Infant, Intercountry, Embryo, and Older Child) will be presented and a panel of adoptive families will share their stories. This event will take place at the Herrick District Library in Holland (300 S. River Ave).

December 1st at 6:00 p.m. Foster Care and Older Child Adoption Orientation - An opportunity to learn about the children available in the State of Michigan and the process involved in becoming a licensed foster parent or adoptive parent. This orientation will take place in the East building of the Holland Bethany Christian Services office (12048 James Street).

December 11th at 6:30 p.m. Intercountry Adoption Information Meeting - Come learn about the different country programs, the adoption process, fees, and resources available to you before and after the adoption is finalized. This information meeting will be held in the East building of the Holland Bethany Christian Services office (12048 James Street).

"SPEAK UP FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES..." Proverbs 31:8

"I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU AS ORPHANS; I WILL COME TO YOU..." John 14:18

4 comments:

The De Jager Family said...

Brookie, you knew this would pull at my heart, didn't you. :) I'm sure we'll be ready for adoption or foster care sometime in the future. I enjoy hearing about the resources out there.

Anonymous said...

My heart is ready to go back and scoop up a beautiful Zambian child... but I suppose we should wait until we are done with grad school and are back in Michigan. thanks for sharing - I will post a link to this on my blog w/ the hopes that someone will be moved to action sooner, than later.

Your heart is beautiful, Brooke Keeler - and I am so glad I know you.

-Christen

Sarah said...

You go Brooke!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke! I linked to your blog from Amber's and when I saw this post I felt I had to respond. Our firm is actually really exciting about expanding this area of our practice. We have already handled a couple and are trying to find ways to get more involved. Let me know if you have any ideas for us!

Thanks!
Sarah
sarahschraw@schraw.com